Thursday, July 19, 2012

Closing a Chapter

Back on Thursday, April 12, 2012 per doctor's orders at my 29 week appointment, my OB decided I needed to begin modified bed rest due to the strain that my body was in from carrying twins. My last day of work before going on modified bed rest was Friday, April 13, 2012.



Although I knew bed rest was a possibility for me, the reality of it occurred so abruptly that I welcomed the opportunity to return back to work for short period of time. After being away for 3 months (bed rest + maternity leave), I went back on July 9, 2012 for 2 weeks to wrap up some loose ends. It was so good to see my co-worker friends, to experience my old 'normal' routine, and gain closure to this chapter of my life that was about to end. Over the past 2 weeks, I learned that going back to work with two infants was extremely tough for our family.

I originally thought I would be a working mommy and I had planned for my mom and mother-in-law to watch the babies during the work week. Due to several factors, we all found out rather quickly after the babies came home from the NICU, that the original plan was not going to work. And because the babies were born premature with delicate immune systems, we did not want to put them in private or public daycare. In October 2011, when we found out we were pregnant, we put the babies on the Chesapeake Child Development Center waiting list as our back up plan. We were told a just a few weeks ago that we needed to find an alternative because there were still no spots available for us. This news didn't affect us because we knew I would be staying home, but it was further confirmation.

Not working outside the home will be a huge change for me. I've had a job since I was 15 1/2! Upon graduation from UCO 7 years ago, I began my land career in the oil & gas industry.  I started at  a company called Dominion Exploration & Production, Inc. which sold to Linn Energy, LLC in September of 2007. In April of 2008, after working for Linn for several months, I went to work for Canaan Natural Gas PE Funds. 

  


I would like to return to the industry someday, but for the next few years, I will be working full-time at home as Grady and Wren's mom, a position I am most honored to have.

For 'ol memories sake I'm including some pics of my office at Canaan. The top left is my original office and the rest of the pics are my second office that I moved into right before I left on bed rest.

 

Although I am sad to leave my career,  I am excited to be able to stay home with my babies. I know this is the best decision for our family right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment