Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bananas Foster

I've made Bananas Foster a handful of times now. It's so easy and SO good! I usually only make it for special occasions (like last night to celebrate Valentine's Day) because it is obviously not healthy. I've consulted several recipes and pieced them together into this recipe.
Ingredients:
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1 banana cut into slices
3 Tbs rum
Melt butter in a skillet over low heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and stir until sugar dissolves. Add banana slices and cook for about a minute, spoon sauce over bananas as they cook. Bring to a simmer and add rum. Use a lighter to ignite the skillet in order to burn the rum off or leave skillet on the burner and the rum will cook off on its own. Lighting the skillet is optional, if you are accident prone - I don't suggest it. If sauce is too thin after lighting/cooking the rum, continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Serve it up in dishes and top with vanilla ice cream.
Here's a terribly unimpressive video of me lighting the rum on fire last night. It was the first time I've been brave enough to actually ignite the bananas foster. It wasn't too scary, but it also wasn't as hot as it is when they make it at restaurants and create a huge flame. I was being conservative so as NOT to burn my house down.

No comments:

Post a Comment