Monday, February 14, 2011

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

I didn't grow up eating sweet potatoes because my mom never made them. The first time I ate one was about 4 years ago at a friend's parents' house. It was baked and then I added a little butter, salt, and pepper. Baking sweet potatoes takes a while because they are so dense, so I investigated quicker ways to prepare them and found you can mash them. I've been preparing them this way for awhile now.
Ingredients:
2 Medium sweet potatoes (or 1 for each person you are serving)
Butter or Margarine
Salt
Pepper
Fill large stock pot a little over half-way full with water and bring to a boil. Peel, slice, and quarter sweet potatoes into uniform pieces for even cooking. Once water is boiling add sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender after tested with a fork. Drain potatoes in colander. Return potatoes to pot and put back on burner for a few seconds to cook off excess water. Add butter or margarine and mash with a hand masher. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment