Thursday, March 1, 2012

Austin Anniversary Trip Day 2 Recap

Austin: Day 2 - Saturday, February 25 [Anniversary Day]

On Saturday we got up and around super early because we couldn't sleep [different bed than we're used to] and exchanged our Anniversary cards.

I saw a bakery named Sweetish Hill while driving on Friday that looked like it was worth a try, so we ate breakfast there.



After breakfast we drove down to San Marcos to check out the outlets. Because I'm not in regular clothes right now and my feet are swollen and might even grow due to pregnancy, shopping for clothes and shoes was out. I'm afraid to buy baby clothes because I don't know how big they'll be in any given season. The babies might be on the small side since they're twins and will be early. And I couldn't buy home stuff because I don't need anything nor would I be able to fit much in our small suitcases. So we mainly looked.  But there was a maternity outlet and I found a dress for my baby showers.

Around 12:30pm, we headed back into Austin to hit up the food trucks on South Congress for a progressive late lunch. We started with a crepe truck and shared a small savory rotisserie chicken, spinach, and feta crepe. Then we shared pad thai at the Thai food truck named "Coat and Thai." Tom also got a small sandwich at a sub truck, of which I had a bite or two.


After trying the food trucks, we went back to the hotel so I could put my swollen feet up and relax for a little bit before our anniversary dinner date. Per my friend Amanda's recommendation, we ate our anniversary dinner at Chez Zee. The atmosphere was quirky but pretty with lots of twinkle lights, ornaments, etc hanging everywhere. And the food was rather tasty.







Tom's dinner:  The fish special - Amberjack with Israeli couscous, cherry tomatoes, and sauteed spinach.


My dinner: A pecan crusted goat cheese salad of mixed greens with pecan chicken, and dried cherries, tossed in a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing.


Chez Zee's signature dipping oil and sourdough wheat bread.  The oil was smokey and flavored.  I found it interesting.  Tom liked it more than I did.


Dessert #1: Fresh fruit Bavarian, a sweet shortbread pastry crust filled with a creamy vanilla cheesecake,  topped with seasonal fruit [mine had blueberries] and cinnamon walnut streusel.



Dessert #2: Butterscotch Pudding served in a martini glass topped with a layer of caramel, sprinkled with sea salt, and topped with a dollop of whipped cream.  It was amazing!


It's Chez Zee's custom to give a slice of their lemon rosemary cake to those celebrating birthdays or anniversaries.  So we got a third dessert! We took the lemon rosemary cake to go because we were so full.  I didn't even touch it until the next day, and I didn't really care for it. After dinner we drove around for a bit and and then turned in for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment